Kiwiria's September Sequels
Oct. 8th, 2026 10:20 amI have now read more books in 2026 than I did in ALL of 2025! Clearly my resolution to stop doomscrolling and pick up a book instead has worked! I'm very chuffed about that :-D
10 Ways to Accidentally Fall In Love - Emmy Sanders, 4.5/5, Audiobook ~9hrs
If you're a fan of T.J. Klune, you will love this as well. Brad was basically a mix between Sam, Vince and Josiah, and I loved him from the very first double entendre. And just like those books, it just get rather explicit at times as well.
But I loved it. I loved the characters, I loved the friendships, I loved the humor, I loved the found-family trope. And yes - I loved seeing Brad accidentally fall in love.
Totally predictable of course - but so cute!
Hopeless Pocus - Ruby Rivers / Rachel Rivers, 2/5, 368 pages
Wow, this fell flat.
I sped through the first 65% and really enjoyed myself, but then suddenly it went totally off the rails, and stopped making sense - even within its own universe. A lot of things seemed to happen "between the lines" and even more was hand-waved away without any real explanation:
- A vampire was sent off to kill a witch to prevent her from revealing Violet and it was just ... never mentioned again? Really?
- Violet was sent to solve a mystery, and the final reveal included tons of details and people the reader had never even heard of before that moment.
- Violet's aunt is constantly drunk because of ... reasons?
- Reggie is just ... there ... serves no purpose at all.
At 80% I seriously considered DNF'ing this, because it had jumped so far off the rails. In the end I got stubborn and finished it, but giving it 2 stars is generous. This was only barely OK.
Sorcery of Thorns - Margaret Rogerson, 3/5, 456 pages
Slow to start, so it took me 3 weeks to read the first 30% and 3 days to read the rest! It really took off once Elisabeth made it to the chancellor's place.
I liked the characters - Elisabeth and Silas especially, Nathaniel and Kiera(?) to a lesser degree - but thought there was an awful lot of handwaving going on when it came to describing the magic system, how demons worked and why the libraries thought that sorcerers were so evil! And I wish more time could have been spent in the library and on the grimoires! I found those absolutely fascinating.
This Inevitable Ruin - Mark Dinniman, 4/5, Audiobook ~29 hrs
A Parade of Horribles - Mark Dinniman, 4/5, Audiobook ~20hrs
Last two books - so far. Still really enjoying them, and am curious to see how Mark Dinniman decides to finish the story!
Alpha - Audrey Faye*, 5/5, 322 pages
Heart - Audrey Faye*, 4.5/5, 322 pages
Rebel - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 320 pages
Raven - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 328 pages
Breath - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 330 pages
Bear - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 328 pages
I was in the need for a comfort read, "Alpha" fit the bill perfectly, and then I just had to continue with the rest of the series ;)
10 Ways to Accidentally Fall In Love - Emmy Sanders, 4.5/5, Audiobook ~9hrs
If you're a fan of T.J. Klune, you will love this as well. Brad was basically a mix between Sam, Vince and Josiah, and I loved him from the very first double entendre. And just like those books, it just get rather explicit at times as well.
But I loved it. I loved the characters, I loved the friendships, I loved the humor, I loved the found-family trope. And yes - I loved seeing Brad accidentally fall in love.
Totally predictable of course - but so cute!
Hopeless Pocus - Ruby Rivers / Rachel Rivers, 2/5, 368 pages
Wow, this fell flat.
I sped through the first 65% and really enjoyed myself, but then suddenly it went totally off the rails, and stopped making sense - even within its own universe. A lot of things seemed to happen "between the lines" and even more was hand-waved away without any real explanation:
- A vampire was sent off to kill a witch to prevent her from revealing Violet and it was just ... never mentioned again? Really?
- Violet was sent to solve a mystery, and the final reveal included tons of details and people the reader had never even heard of before that moment.
- Violet's aunt is constantly drunk because of ... reasons?
- Reggie is just ... there ... serves no purpose at all.
At 80% I seriously considered DNF'ing this, because it had jumped so far off the rails. In the end I got stubborn and finished it, but giving it 2 stars is generous. This was only barely OK.
Sorcery of Thorns - Margaret Rogerson, 3/5, 456 pages
Slow to start, so it took me 3 weeks to read the first 30% and 3 days to read the rest! It really took off once Elisabeth made it to the chancellor's place.
I liked the characters - Elisabeth and Silas especially, Nathaniel and Kiera(?) to a lesser degree - but thought there was an awful lot of handwaving going on when it came to describing the magic system, how demons worked and why the libraries thought that sorcerers were so evil! And I wish more time could have been spent in the library and on the grimoires! I found those absolutely fascinating.
This Inevitable Ruin - Mark Dinniman, 4/5, Audiobook ~29 hrs
A Parade of Horribles - Mark Dinniman, 4/5, Audiobook ~20hrs
Last two books - so far. Still really enjoying them, and am curious to see how Mark Dinniman decides to finish the story!
Alpha - Audrey Faye*, 5/5, 322 pages
Heart - Audrey Faye*, 4.5/5, 322 pages
Rebel - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 320 pages
Raven - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 328 pages
Breath - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 330 pages
Bear - Audrey Faye*, 4/5, 328 pages
I was in the need for a comfort read, "Alpha" fit the bill perfectly, and then I just had to continue with the rest of the series ;)